Skip to main content

I was in a severe car accident a few years ago. A drunk driver crossed the center line and hit me head on. As you can imagine, the pain that I felt was excruciating. I was immediately driven to the emergency room and had to stay there for a few days while I was monitored and bandaged until the doctors were certain that I could go home with help. The one thing that I didn’t think much of at the time was that all I was sent home with was a sling for my arm and prescription painkillers.

As time went on, I didn’t think much about my morning routine. I’d wake up, roll out of bed, walk to the kitchen to get a glass of water, take my painkillers, feed the dog, and take a shower. For the first few weeks, I would wake up in a good amount of pain every time. As time went by, it was more of a dull ache but I still felt like I needed the meds. I’d do something similar at lunch. I’d get up from my desk, grab my lunch bag, and take a pill while I was waiting for the microwave to beep. Then again at night, I’d take a pill right after dinner before I took the dog out one last time before bed. You just get into a routine, you know? I didn’t even realize just how much I had been taking until I ran out for a few days.

I was away for a wedding one weekend and realized far too late that I hadn’t refilled my prescription with enough time before I left. This meant that I was going to run out of medication partway through the weekend. I didn’t think it would be that big of a deal to be off of them for a couple of days while I was away and that I would just pick them back up when I got home. I was definitely in for a shock and it was no vacation.

I had only been away for two days when I started to feel the withdrawal. I figured I would be in for a little bit more pain, but the cloudiness and irritability was much worse than I had ever expected. I felt like I was developing a bit of a shake as well. I wasn’t able to keep a consistent core temperature and although it wasn’t as bad as it probably could have been it was definitely far from pleasant. I didn’t realize just how much of an impact it would have and not only was I miserable from the symptoms but I have to admit I was a little embarrassed as well. You never think of taking medication as you were prescribed as being an addiction but that’s exactly what it had turned into.

As soon as I got home from the wedding I knew I had to look for other options. I asked around and a friend of mine suggested a chiropractor that she had been going to. I was ready to try just about anything so I figured I’d go once and if it didn’t work I’d just go onto the next thing. Little did I know that the appointment I had just set up would change my life for the better.

I walked into the chiropractor and didn’t know what I really expected. It certainly wasn’t to feel better almost immediately. Who knew that a crack of the back could help so much so fast? I explained to the chiropractor what had happened and he seemed to know exactly what to do. I left that appointment feeling cautiously optimistic and went back again the next week. At this point I have been going at least twice a month for the past year and a half. I haven’t had to take prescription painkillers for anything related to my back in over a year and I feel free again. I guess you could say I have an addiction to chiropractic care, but that’s much better than the alternative!

Contact Us Today 1-866-733-8290

[forms ID=2]