Here at Wirth Chiropractic, we’re all about how your body is influenced by external factors. The spine, and your skeleton as a whole, is sturdy and flexible, able to withstand enormous strain. Yet, even they can be affected by things beyond your control, including the weather and the seasons. This time of year, it’s vital to keep yourself warm as the temperatures plummet. You may not realize it, but chilly weather can have a negative impact on the body and overall performance. Let’s take a look at some of winter’s effects on the human body and how chiropractic can help counteract those.
- Stiffness & Joint Pain. People who suffer from chronic stiffness and joint pain know that temperature and atmospheric pressure can be highly influential when it comes to the severity of their condition. As temperature drops and pressure changes, your body contracts to preserve warmth. This impacts your muscles as well as the fluid inside your joints.
- Circulatory Issues. The same muscular contractions that can lead to stiffness and joint pain also cause circulatory issues for many people. In the winter, it can be difficult to get warm and stay warm. Blood flow is often diminished due to a natural constriction of the body’s blood vessels.
- Compromised Immune System. In colder temperatures, your body prioritizes safety and has to work harder to keep itself warm. Unfortunately, this typically comes at the expense of your immune system, which then has to work harder to keep you and your body healthy.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder & Mental Health. Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is the result of colder temperatures, gloomy weather, and fewer hours of sunlight. Symptoms include low energy, irritability, and persistent pain or soreness.
- Sports Injuries. While this may not be a direct result of the cold winter weather, winter sports can be particularly dangerous. Slippery ice and treacherous snow drifts abound in sports such as ice skating, skiing, snowboarding, and many others. Injuries can lead to dislocated bones, subluxated vertebrae, and even herniated discs.
So what can chiropractic care do for you? Our spinal adjustments represent a holistic approach to correcting the body’s natural healing processes. Whether it’s sore muscles, compromised immunity, injuries, or mental fog, it can all be traced back to the spine. An adjustment can relieve pinched nerves and release biochemicals into your body that improve mood and increase energy. If you’re feeling the effects of winter’s icy grip, consider visiting us here at Wirth Chiropractic. Contact us today to schedule your appointment!