Your neck is one of the most sensitive and vulnerable parts of your body. Its flexibility is not unlimited, and injuries are not uncommon. It’s very easy to traumatize the muscles and bones in the neck, whether in a car wreck, workplace accident, or even after long periods of poor posture. Neck injuries often come with some severe side effects, but the relentless pain and soreness is one of the most difficult to deal with. Read on for some tips and tricks when it comes to easing the pain and caring for your newly injured neck.
- Ice the Affected Area. The very first thing you should do after sustaining an injury to your neck is treat it with ice. Wrap some ice or an ice pack in a thin towel and apply it to the affected area. The cold temperature, applied consistently over a few days, should reduce the swelling in your neck.
- Use Heat After the Swelling Dissipates. Once the swelling has dissipated, introduce heat to your treatment routine. Dampen a cloth with warm water and apply to the affected area. This will help the muscles relax and prevent them from seizing up. Alternate between hot and cold application for best results.
- Don’t Let the Muscles Seize Up. When your neck is sore, sometimes the last thing you want to do is move it. But that’s precisely what you should be doing. Keep it as relaxed as possible, don’t tense up, and stretch often. Roll your neck from side to side, or touch your ear to your shoulder and hold.
- Find a Good Sleeping Position. Sleeping can be difficult and uncomfortable with a neck injury. You must find a position that works for you to ensure a restful night’s sleep. Experts have recommended several different sleeping positions when dealing with neck pain. The important thing is to keep your neck neutral—not too far up or down.
- Consult a Chiropractor. Chiropractors specialize in treating the musculoskeletal system, including the back, shoulders, and neck. From stretching routines to spinal adjustments, chiropractors are trained in holistic treatment of injuries. Consult your chiropractor as soon as possible to get started on any treatments or therapies that may expedite your recovery time.
If you or a loved one has recently sustained a neck injury, we invite you to join us here at Wirth Chiropractic. Stop by one of our two locations, or give us a call and schedule your free consultation with our offices today!