Commonly known as an ear infection, otitis media (OM) is a common childhood illness and it is an inner ear infection that is generally caused when the Eustachian tubes get blocked. This tube allows equalized pressure on the eardrum and keeps fluid drained away from the inner ear. When a blockage of the Eustachian tubes occurs, there is fluid buildup which causes an infection.
Symptoms of ear infections include:
- Drainage of the ears and nose
- Decreased appetite
- Poor sleep
- Crying and irritability
How does Chiropractic Care Help with Ear Infections?
Although it is one of the most common childhood illnesses in the world, it should not be the case, as there are many natural remedies, specifically gentle chiropractic adjustment, that are known to help immensely. Ear infections are typically treated with antibiotic ear drops, oral antibiotics, ear candling, and surgery. Advanced or recurrent cases are treated with tubes, or when children are experiencing hearing loss or speech delay.
Research has shown that chiropractic can be highly effective in the treatment of ear infections. In a recent review that evaluated 49 articles, it was discovered that several clinical trials, case reports, and case series confirmed that chiropractic adjustments can help in reducing symptoms of ear infections.
When it comes to ear infections, the basic chiropractic approach can be summarized in the following ways:
- The C1-C4 neuralgia influences the muscles that surround the Eustachian tube.
- Vertebral subluxations at the occiput and C1-C4 level can cause hypertonicity of those muscles, i.e. muscles that are spastic, tight, and over-stimulated.
- This in turn can impact the size of the Eustachian tube and therefore, prevent drainage of fluid.
- A relaxation of the musculature can be caused with gentle and specific adjustments in the upper cervical area. This in turn allows natural drainage of the ears. In many cases, fluid draining can occur in patients on the very day of adjustment, giving them the relief they need.
It is not only studies that have shown that chiropractic care can help with ear infections, but clinical trials as well. There is no need for harmful antibiotics, which lower the natural immune response of the body. Children can benefit more from the holistic approach of chiropractic care since it is safer and more effective. Natural interventions are best for ear infections as they have been shown to work wonders for many years.
The Right Approach to Health & Life
Natural interventions work for an entire host of physical problems with your body – not just with ear infections! It is just amazing what chiropractors can do. Turning to chemicals and surgeons every time you have an ailment is not the prudent way to live life, apparently!