If you’re reading these words right now, it’s more likely than not that you’ve experienced (or will experience) some form of back pain in your lifetime. According to the National Library of Medicine, back pain will affect 8 out of 10 people over the course of their entire life, making it one of the most common medical problems facing the United States and the world at large. In fact, it’s more prevalent than even the most serious conditions that plague the American people:
- Roughly 47% of Americans are at risk of heart disease due to key factors.
- Just over 11% of the US population has diabetes, both diagnosed and undiagnosed.
- According to data, just under 40% of the population will be diagnosed with cancer during their lifetime.
Compare these statistics to the staggering 80% of our population who struggle with back pain, and you’ll catch a glimpse of the magnitude of the situation. Truly, this is the common (and often ignored) epidemic of the American people. Although back pain may not be quite as serious or as deadly as the conditions listed above, it can cause your quality of life to decrease dramatically, if left untreated.
What are the common causes of back pain? Let’s take a look:
- Excess weight. The more weight your body has to move, the more tension you put on your spine. This can lead to strained muscles.
- Osteoarthritis can lead to spinal stenosis.
- Overuse or misuse. Whether it’s improper lifting technique or overuse due to excessive physical labor, your spine and muscles in your back are not immune to damage.
- As we get older, back pain becomes more common due to a natural deterioration of muscles and joints.
- Lack of exercise. Exercise serves to strengthen the muscles that support our bodies and keep us upright. A lack of exercise means that your muscles will not have the strength to support you.
- Vertebral subluxation. The vertebrae in your spine can move and shift, leading to misalignment. This can cause pinched nerves and other painful sensations.
Are you one of the millions of Americans experiencing back pain? Look no further than chiropractic care to help restore health and energy. Our unique treatment method of gentle spinal manipulations can relieve tension and realign the vertebrae of your spine for maximum efficiency. If you’re looking for a chiropractor, we invite you to join us here at Wirth Chiropractic. Schedule your free consultation and get started on the path to healing!